Wednesday, April 15, 2009

70's born but 80's raised


My first Sunny Day...and the crowd goes wild. I guess up until now, I seemed like a complaining, whining weirdo. Well I am, but not today. I was on Facebook (FB) and upon checking out my friends stuff, I have noticed that we all have this crazy nostalgia for the 80's. From the cartoons, tv programs, the cereals, the clothing, the music, i mean just everything.

But i remember the 80's also introducing crack, AIDS, drug wars(philly was filled with cross fires), noriega, pablo escobar, reganomics, oliver north, iran contra, sadaam, unemployment, and a crazy murder rate, but i digress.

See I didnt come on here to talk about that, I came on here to talk about when kids were kids and didnt need cable to watch cartoons, when cereal was named after your favorite show or toy, where the clothes were bright and colorful, when movies werent filled with CGI, when you could ride septa for free on weekends. Oh and the music, I need one person to tell me they didnt sing "Take on Me", "Sweet dreams", "I wanna dance with somebody", "Hungry like a wolf", and so many other hits that were just filled with good music. Who didnt appreciate Fraggle Rock, Galaxy High, GI Joe, Labryinth, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Big Trouble in Little China. But i could go on and on.

Kids these days, mimic the clothes, but they have no idea about how fun the 80's were. Lets face it, crack is here, no progess with AIDS (magic doesnt have it, never did and i will discuss that next blog), drug wars are still going on, bushanomics (still dealing with that), sadaam is dead but we have osama and taliban, unemployment is thru the roof and so is the murder rate.

So since nothing has really changed and one evil was just replaced by another evil doing the same thing, how about we bring back the cool cartoons and tv shows, and movies and clothes and music....Just a thought

2 comments:

  1. Bravestarr anyone?!?!?!

    i was actually discussing this with someone recently. how kids are copying the style with no real sense of how or why things were like that. kids are rocking 160 dollar boots but dont remember when people were getting murked for Jordans. in hindsight the 80s SUCKED, but i take them over 2000 anyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I wish I grew up in the 80s, I feel so out of whack sometimes in my generation (90s babies). There surely were some good times that were in that era, and although it is cliche, at least we have the memories of the 80s!

    ReplyDelete