Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pomp and Circumstance


It's that time of year again, graduations.  I have been bombarded with horns blowing, people yelling and wooing, tons of parents crying and Facebook being overloaded with pictures.  To my high school graduates; if this is the end of your journey, then celebrate and woo until you're hoarse.  If this is not the end of your academic journey, I suggest you enjoy the few weeks of your summer because it is about to get so fucking real.  To my junior high school graduates; you will not miss those kids.  You say you will but high school will show you that your elementary school friends are nothing but a distant memory. 

Parents, graduating anything that is not post secondary is a requirement, kind of like breathing.  I expect you to finish and I expect you to finish highly.  Elementary school is not hard, anyone not deemed special needs or has an I.E.P should be on honor roll.  High school, there are moments and levels of difficulty but ultimately, you should graduate high school with a minimum of a 2.75. 
I get some parents are emotional balls of mush, but get it together.  Crying tears of joy because your kid graduated elementary gives them a sense of accomplishment that is not warranted.  This is how these kids develop a sense of entitlement; they think they DID something because they graduated 8th grade.  I liken that to having an I.Q. of 72 and being deemed the smartest among a bunch of retards.  In case you don't get it, to be considered mentally retarded, your I.Q. must be 70 or lower. 

In conclusion, congratulations to all the junior and senior high school graduates.  I wish you all the best in your future endeavours no matter what they may be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment